The River Ribble
from source to sea
Part 11 - from Sawley to the outskirts of Clitheroe
Can you locate the abbey and bridges shown on this page on the map?
Salley Abbey was founded in 1148 by William de Percy. This Cistercian abbey was never very prosperous, and little now remains of the buildings, though the remaining low walls show the layout clearly.
The abbey is on the southern bank of the river, and further south Pendle Hill can be seen the background.
Converted building in Sawley
The village which takes its name from the abbey is now more prosperous, but as a dormitory village, rather than a farming community. As in Stainforth many of the old buildings have been converted into expensive housing.
Castle Cement Works
North of Clitheroe, at Horrocksford, is the largest grouping of industrial building along the river so far.
Clitheroe stands on an outcrop of limestone. This is exploited by Castle Cement, the most controversial of the industries on this site. Not because of quarrying activities, but because it burns a manufactured fuel which nearby residents claim is responsible for respiratory disease.
Clitheroe Sculpture Park
A little further along the river is a collection of outdoor sculptures. Brungerly Bridge, which used to mark the boundary between Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire, can be seen in the background.
© Graham Dean 1998, 2002.
River Ribble Part 10
River Ribble Part 12
River Ribble index page.
Graham and Lin Dean's home page.
© Graham Dean 1996 - 2006.